Myths About MOLD

Let face is MOLD is EVERYWHERE. We ALL react when MOLD is present. According to the CDC, “There is always a little mold everywhere – in the air and on many surfaces.” So the presence of MOLD does not always mean there is a hazardous condition.

When you suspect mold to be a problem in your home or business, you often become overwhelmed with questions and worried how this will affect those around you. With all of the misinformation floating around about MOLD, it is often hard to differentiate between fact and fiction.
We have put together a list of 4 common myths about MOLD.

Myth #1 – The most dangerous type of MOLD is BLACK MOLD

“Black Mold” is scientifically names Stachybortys and is a nontoxic and nonpoisonous mold. Many in the MOLD industry try to portray that BLACK MOLD is toxic, and have instilled fear to the public that this type of MOLD should cause you to hit the panic button if found. If remediated properly, there are no lasting damages or affects of MOLD.

Myth #2– In order to remediate MOLD you much first identify what type of mold is present

Many companies who remediate MOLD, will sell you on mold testing. It is not required to test the MOLD before you can treat the issue. The CDC states they following when it comes to identifying and remediating mold.
“We do not believe that one needs to take any different precautions with Stachybotrys than with other molds.”
“It is not necessary to determine what type of mold you may have. All mold should be treated the same with respect to potential health risks and removal.”

Myth #3 – Toxic MOLD can be classified into different types

The National Center for Disease Control states, “The term toxic mold is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins or more specifically mycotoxins, the molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common mold which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere -in the air and on many surfaces.”

Myth #4MOLD can be linked to causing death

Unfortunately, myth #4 is one of the most perpetuated falsehoods in the mold removal industry. Many people are found to be allergic to MOLD, which can have a significant impact on respiratory health when it is airborne. Although it does affect many, it does prove difficult to directly link an individuals cause of death directly to MOLD.